Suspects in Toronto Mall Mass Shooting Identified as Two Adults and 2 Young Children

The two men killed in a mass shooting outside an east Toronto mall Sunday afternoon have been identified by police.

A 35-year-old man is facing four counts of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder in connection with the shooting, which police say may have been related to an incident earlier in the day involving a large group of people at Danforth Music and Arts.

According to police, that shooting, involving three males and a female, involved a firearm being discharged near the intersection of Greenwood Avenue and Danforth Road. No details were provided on the identity of the male who was shot and killed in the incident.

Detective Sgt. Graham Gibson says both of the men shot in Sunday’s incident were known to police.

Police said the 45-year-old male who was killed Sunday was a father to a two-year-old child. The female, who was killed, was a 40-year-old woman with two young children.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said earlier on Monday that officials are “confident” the pair killed were related.

The male suspect in Sunday’s incident was arrested Monday and is undergoing questioning at a Toronto police headquarters, according to Sgt. Gibson.

It’s not clear if he will be charged with any of the other counts or if the shooting was a murder-suicide.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment